Saint Rich’s debut LP, ‘Beyond the Drone’, offers up a similar gratification. Saint Rich are Christian Peslak and Steve Marion, best known for their work together as Delicate Steve: an instrumental project in which they peddle a unique brand of euphoric psychedelia on David Byrne’s Luaka Bop label. As Saint Rich, however, they find space for their own kind of dog sketches, stripping things back to a joyfully old school kind of rock ’n’ roll. The pair have been friends since high school, and there is a bouncy and youthful ease that runs throughout ‘Beyond the Drone’. Enjoyed in the overall context of Peslak and Marion’s robust musical CVs, ‘Beyond the Drone’ is clearly the work of some talented musicians breaking out and having fun. But even without the back-story, there’s a clever intricacy to these guys’ nostalgic dog sketches which allows you to recognise that they have a ‘Guernica’ in them too.
Saint Rich was born unexpectedly. As the story goes, the Delicate Steve bandmates Steve Marion and Christian Peslak - New Jersey natives whose collaborations date back to their high-school days - were holed up in the former’s home, weathering out a fierce storm that prevented the rest of that band from attending rehearsal. So instead, Marion put down his trusty six-string and got behind the drum kit, and Peslak began strumming the first chords to Dreams, a song they’d allegedly finish within an hour . On September 30, the Best New Artist honorees will release their debut album, Beyond the Drone, by way of North Carolina super label Merge Records. The upcoming effort delivers 12 sweetly shaggy tracks of wistful guitar-rock, shaped in the suburbs but colored by the country.
Saint Rich - Beyond the Drone 1:11. First, Saint Rich is not much like Delicate Steve. It's why the song works so well - it's partly scathing and part sympathetic, at least sort of. It could work. Read full description. See details and exclusions. See all 11 brand new listings.
Listen to Beyond the Drone now. Listen to Beyond the Drone in full in the this site app. Play on this site.
SAINT RICH - Beyond The Drone (debut album). SAINT RICH Beyond The Drone. American band, led by Christian Peslak and Steve Marion, from New Jersey.
On Beyond The Drone, the debut album from Saint Rich, it's fair to say that Marion has created the bedrock for Peslak's wandering. Peslak sings with a natural ease, a spirit that finds its way into all corners of Saint Rich songs. There's reference here to the Laurel Canyons, old and new, to Bearsville, to any place where assorted love songs were recorded in a space you imagine had vaulted wide beamed ceilings with waters running close outside. Beyond the Drone is the kind of record you continue to find new songs on after listening for a few months.
More albums from Saint Rich.
|A1||Beyond The Drone||1:10|
|A6||Crying From The Home||3:39|
|B1||Black And Brown||3:17|
|B2||You Ain't Worth The Night||5:08|
|B3||Don't Bring Me Down||2:29|
|B5||To The Sun||1:12|
- Recorded At – Delicate Studios
- Mixed At – Delicate Studios
- Mastered At – Peerless Mastering
- Acoustic Guitar – Christian Peslak (tracks: 2,6,7,8,9,12), Steve Marion (tracks: 3,10)
- Bass – Christian Peslak (tracks: 6,7), Steve Marion (tracks: 1,2,3,4,5,8,10,12)
- Cello – Anand Wilder (tracks: 10)
- Classical Guitar – Christian Peslak (tracks: 4)
- Design – Saint Rich
- Double Bass – Adam Pumilia (tracks: 9)
- Drums – Jeremy Gustin (tracks: 5,6,7), Mike Duncan (tracks: 2,3), Steve Marion (tracks: 4,8,10,12)
- Electric Guitar – Steve Marion (tracks: 3,10)
- Keyboards – Christian Peslak (tracks: 2)
- Lead Vocals – Christian Peslak (tracks: 2,6,7,8,9,12)
- Management – Michael Krumper
- Mastered By – Jeff Lipton, Maria Rice
- Mixed By – Steve Marion
- Organ – Steve Marion (tracks: 4,8,10,12)
- Percussion – Jeremy Gustin (tracks: 6), Steve Marion (tracks: 4,8,10)
- Photography By – John Divola
- Piano – Steve Marion (tracks: 4,8,10,12)
- Recorded By – Steve Marion
- Songwriter – Christian Peslak, Steve Marion
- Vocals – Mickey Sanchez (tracks: 6,12), Steve Marion (tracks: 4,5,10,12)
Barcode and Other Identifiers
- Barcode: 673855049113
- Matrix / Runout (Side A): MRG - 491 - A - RI - 1
- Matrix / Runout (Side B): MRG - 491 - B - RE - 1
|MRG491 ADVANCE, MRG491||Saint Rich||Beyond The Drone (CD, Album, Promo)||Merge Records, Merge Records||MRG491 ADVANCE, MRG491||US||2013|
|MRG491||Saint Rich||Beyond The Drone (CD, Album)||Merge Records||MRG491||US||2013|