Hawkwind is the self-titled debut album by Hawkwind, released in 1970, originally on Liberty Records, later reissued on Sunset Records. This album is historic since it is one of the first space rock LPs. The Pretty Things guitarist Dick Taylor, who was looking for a new venture after leaving the band, was pulled into Hawkwind playing some gigs and producing this album.
This album was the very first release of the band and recording for it was started only a few months after the band’s, rather disastrous, first live appearance
Biography by Bruce Eder. Soaring, sci-fi-influenced British space rock band, respected in both metal and progressive circles during the 1970s and '80s.
The Church of Hawkwind" ('82) - Really a Dave BROCK solo album. Very spacey and electronic. Formed in London, UK in 1969 - Still active as of 2018. Church of Hawkwind' was the 12th studio album released by Hawkwind. Being released in 1982, it was influenced by the sounds of the time and was centered around being a bit more experimental and more electronic.
Hawkwind is known as one of the best space rock bands of all time. Formed in 1969 by singer/songwriter and guitarist Dave Brock, the band has hosted several notable band members over the decades including the legendary Lemmy Kilmister of Motörhead and drummer Ginger Baker of Cream. If you want to know what is the best Hawkwind album of all time, this list will answer your question.
Album · 1970 · 7 Songs. See All. Best of Live (Live).
Back in 1970 they released their first album the self-titled Hawkwind, which is in a more folky tone, but still holds some of the key aspects of what would later become the space rock genre.
Hawkwind's debut album is an extensive mix of psychedelic and progressive rock, resulting in the so called space-rock. As one of the pioneers in this genre they recorded a bunch of deep soundscapes, combining the best of different genres. This debut can be seen as the highlight of their career, capturing the true spirit of this raw and communal musical movement.
Tracklist Hide Credits
|1||–Hawkwind||Hurry On Sundown||4:55|
|2||–Hawkwind||The Reason Is?||3:30|
|4||–Hawkwind||Paranoia (Part 1)||1:12|
|5||–Hawkwind||Paranoia (Part 2)||4:10|
|6||–Hawkwind||Seeing It As You Really Are||10:44|
|7||–Hawkwind||Mirror Of Illusion||6:59|
|8||–Dave Brock||Bring It On Home
Written-By – Dixon*
|9||–Hawkwind Zoo||Hurry On Sundown||5:02|
|10||–Hawkwind Zoo||Kiss Of The Velvet Whip||5:25|
Written-By – Waters*
- Recorded At – Trident Studios
- Remastered At – Abbey Road Studios
- Phonographic Copyright (p) – EMI Records Ltd.
- Copyright (c) – EMI Records Ltd.
- Published By – EMI United Partnership Ltd.
- Published By – Westminster Music Ltd.
- Published By – EMI Songs Ltd.
- Published By – Blue Ribbon Music Ltd.
- Published By – Rutland Music Ltd.
- Published By – Lupus Music Ltd.
- Pressed By – EMI Uden
- Bass Guitar – John A. Harrison*
- Drums – Terry Ollis
- Electronics – Dik Mik
- Engineer – Barry Ainsworth
- Guitar [6 String], Twelve-String Guitar, Harmonica, Vocals, Percussion – Dave Brock
- Lead Guitar – Huw Lloyd*
- Percussion, Vocals, Alto Saxophone – Nik Turner
- Producer – Dick Taylor (tracks: 1 to 7, 9), Don Paul (tracks: 8, 10, 11), Hawkwind (tracks: 1 to 7, 9)
- Remastered By – Paul Cobbold, Peter Mew
- Written-By – Dave Brock (tracks: 1 to 7, 9, 10), Hawkwind (tracks: 1 to 7)
NotesIdentical to Hawkwind except for the matrix (EMI Uden pressing).
Digitally remastered at Abbey Road Studios, London.
Recorded March / April 1970 at Trident Studios, London.
Made in the EU.
All tracks are published by EMI United Partnership Ltd., excerpt
Track 1 is published by Westminster Music Ltd.
Track 6 is published by EMI Songs Ltd.
Track 8 is published by Blue Ribbon Music Ltd.
Track 10 is published by Rutland Music Ltd.
Track 11 is published by Lupus Music Ltd.
Barcode and Other Identifiers
- Barcode (Text): 7 24353 00282 4
- Barcode (Scanned): 724353002824
- Rights Society: bel/BIEM
- Label Code: LC 0542
- Matrix / Runout (Variant 1, 2): EMI UDEN 837 5522 @ 1 010202
- Mastering SID Code (Variant 1, 2): IFPI L047
- Mould SID Code (Variant 1): IFPI AAHR1
- Mould SID Code (Variant 2): IFPI AAHP0
|LBS 83348||Hawkwind||Hawkwind (LP, Gat)||Liberty||LBS 83348||UK||1970|
|RCV010LP||Hawkwind||Hawkwind (2xLP, Album, Blu)||Back On Black||RCV010LP||UK||2011|
|SLS 50374||Hawkwind||Hawkwind (LP, Album, RE)||Sunset Records||SLS 50374||UK||Unknown|
|LBS 83348||Hawkwind||Hawkwind (LP, Album, Gat)||Liberty||LBS 83348||UK||1970|
|UAS 5519, UAS-5519||Hawkwind||Hawkwind (LP, Album)||United Artists Records, United Artists Records||UAS 5519, UAS-5519||US||1971|