Running on Empty is the fifth album by American singer-songwriter Jackson Browne. Featuring songs themed around life on the road, the entire album was recorded on tour, either live on stage, or in locations associated with touring, such as backstage, on tour busses, or in hotel rooms. Released in 1977, the album reached on the Billboard Pop Albums chart in 1978 and stayed on the charts for 65 weeks.
Running on, running on empty Running on, running blind Running on, running into the sun But I'm running behind. Honey you really tempt me You know the way you look so kind I'd love to stick around but I'm running behind You know I don't even know what I'm hoping to find Running into the sun but I'm running behindWriter/s: JACKSON BROWNE Publisher: Jackson Browne/Swallow Turn Music/Night Kitchen Music/Open Window Music Lyrics licensed. and provided by LyricFind. More songs from Jackson Browne. More songs about traveling. More songs involved in lawsuits .
Band Name Jackson Browne. Album Name Running on Empty. Erscheinungsdatum 06 Dezember 1977. Labels Asylum Records. Mitglieder die dieses Album besitzen13.
Jackson Browne went on tour in 1977 with a remarkable group of musicians to create an album about the road, on the road. The result was Running On Empty, a musical portrait of life on tour that is as brutally honest as it is achingly beautiful. This version features newly remastered sound and a faithful reproduction of the original artwork, both overseen by Browne himself.
Album Running On Empty (1977). Label Asylum Records. Doug Haywood, Rosemary Butler, Jackson Browne. on-running into the sun But I'm running behind Everyone I know, everywhere I go People need some reason to believe I don't know about anyone but me If it takes all night, that'll be all right If I can get you to smile before I leave Looking out at the road rushing under my wheels I don't know
Running on Empty is the album that transformed Jackson Browne from a critically lauded singer/songwriter to a top-tier, stadium-packing rock star. Its opening title track is a quintessential ’70s anthem, one that nails the peculiar mix of backstage decadence and existential fatigue that pervaded the post-Woodstock rock scene. Between that and the sweetly sad horns that close out Stay, Browne drifts wearily through a thick haze of hard drugs ( Cocaine ), lonely groupies ( Rosie ) and tattered relationships ( Love Needs a Heart ). Running On Empty Jackson Browne.
Browne followed THE PRETENDER with RUNNING ON EMPTY - if not the first concept album about a band on the road, then certainly one of the finest. Recorded onstage, in hotel rooms and on tour buses, the album offers a peek into the idle moments musicians experience when not in front of audiences (sometimes to comic effect), as well as mining the wanderlust of the traveling musician for answers to some of the Big Questions in life - an area in which Browne excelled.
Tracklist Hide Credits
|A1||Running On Empty
Written-By – Jackson Browne
Written-By – Danny O'Keefe
Harmony Vocals [Harmony] – Doug Haywood, Joel BernsteinWritten-By – Donald Miller , Jackson Browne
|A4||You Love The Thunder
Written-By – Jackson Browne
Lyrics By [Additional] – Glenn Frey, Jackson BrowneWritten-By – Rev. Gary Davis
Harmony Vocals [The Author Sings Harmony], Written-By – Daniel Kortchmar*
|B2||Love Needs A Heart
Written-By – Jackson Browne, Lowell George, Valerie Carter
|B3||Nothing But Time
Snare, Hihat [Hi-hat], Drums [Cardboard Box With Foot Pedal] – Russell*Written-By – Howard Burke, Jackson Browne
Written-By – Bryan Garofalo, Jackson Browne
Featuring [Featuring A Rare Vocal Appearance By], Vocals – David LindleyWritten-By – Maurice Williams
- Phonographic Copyright (p) – Elektra/Asylum Records
- Copyright (c) – Elektra/Asylum Records
- Mixed At – The Sound Factory
- Mastered At – A&M Studios
- Pressed By – Allied Record Company
- Manufactured By – Elektra/Asylum/Nonesuch Records
- Published By – Swallow Turn Music
- Published By – Warner-Tamerlane Publishing Corp.
- Published By – Road Canon Music
- Published By – Chandos Music
- Published By – Kortchmar Music
- Published By – Naked Snake Music
- Published By – Vanilla Grits Music
- Published By – Gianni Music
- Published By – Cherio Corp.
- Art Direction, Design – Jimmy Wachtel
- Bass – Leland Sklar
- Coordinator [Tour Booked By] – Peter Golden
- Crew [Bus Driver] – Thomas Gustaferro
- Crew [House Mixer] – Jim Bornhorst
- Crew [Monitor Mixers] – Bill "Doc" Gans, Rance Caldwell
- Crew [Road Crew] – Bill Thompson , Ed Kolakowski, Eric Deterding, Jan Alahandro, Michael Deterding
- Crew [Truck Drivers] – Byron Lisenbee, Jimmy Deluca, Mike "Mountain Boy" Rogers
- Drums – Russell Kunkel*
- Engineer – Greg Ladanyi
- Engineer [Assisted On Hotel And Bus Recordings] – David Hewitt, Mark Salwasser, Norman Mershan*
- Engineer [Assisted On Stage Recordings] – Russell Schmitt, Tom Walsh
- Fiddle, Steel Guitar [Lap Steel] – David Lindley
- Guitar [Guitars] – Danny Kortchmar
- Keyboards – Craig Doerge
- Lighting [Lighting Crew] – Alan Owen , Jim Waits, Kevin Di Piazza
- Mastered By – Bernie Grundman
- Mixed By [Assisted By] – Dennis Kirk, George Ybarra
- Other [Spasmodic Woman] – Joann Madden
- Other [The Kid] – Steven Deluca
- Photography By [Where Noted] – Aaron Rapoport
- Photography By, Photography By [Tour Photographer] – Joel Bernstein
- Production Manager – Donald "Buddha" Miller*
- Production Manager [Tour Manager] – Howard Burke
- Technician [Technical Advisor] – Chris Cabral
- Technician [With Thanks To] – Dave Hassinger, Jim Nipar
- Vocals [Singers] – Doug Haywood, Rosemary Butler
- Vocals [Uncredited], Guitar, Piano, Producer – Jackson Browne
NotesSeems to be identical to [Jackson Browne - Running On Empty except that there is no "SP" on the label matrix.
Full-size 8 page booklet included.
A1, B4: Recorded live on stage at Merriweather Post Pavilion, Columbia, Maryland — 8/27/77.
A2: Recorded in room 301 at the Cross Keys Inn, Columbia, Maryland — 8/27/77 (thanks to Pete Wiley); and on stage at the Garden State Arts Center, Holmdale, New Jersey — 9/7/77. For Judy.
A3: Recorded backstage in the big rehearsal room at Saratoga Performing Arts Center, Sarasota Springs, New York — 9/1/77.
A4: Recorded live on stage at the Garden State Arts Center, Holmdale, New Jersey — 9/6/77.
A5: Recorded in room 124 at the Holiday Inn, Edwardsville, Illinois — 8/17/77.
Any resemblance to persons living or nearly dead...
B1: Recorded in room 124 at the Holiday Inn, Edwardsville, Illinois — 8/18/77.
The author sings harmony.
B2: Recorded live at the Universal Ampitheatre, Universal City, California — 9/17/77.
B3: Recorded on a bus (a Continental Silver Eagle) somewhere in New Jersey — 9/8/77.
B5: The Zodiacs don't mind
Assistance on stage recordings using Showco's 24-track Studer.
Assistance on hotel & bus recordings using N.Y.C. Record Plant's remote truck.
Mixed at Sound Factory, L. A., using the Aphex.
Mastered at A&M.
Lights & Sound by Showco.
Piano supplied by Sound Productions.
Tour booked for the Wm. Morris Agency.
Many thanks to Elizabeth Reynolds.
Thanks always to David Geffen.
Craig Doerge, Russell Kunkel, and Danny Kortchmar appear courtesy of The Section and Capitol Records
Danny Kortchmar also appears courtesy of Dark Horse Records
℗ & © 1977 Elektra/Asylum Records • A division of Warner Communications Inc.
A1, A3, A4, B3: © Copyright 1977 Swallow Turn Music ASCAP.
All rights administered by WB Music Corp.
A2: © Copyright 1971 Warner-Tamerlane Publishing Corp. and Road Canon Music BMI.
All rights administered by Warner-Tamerlane Publishing Corp.
A5: © 1968 Chandos Music ASCAP
B1: © 1977 Kortchmar Music ASCAP
B2: © 1977 Swallow Turn Music ASCAP, Naked Snake Music BMI & Vanilla Grits Music BMI.
All rights on behalf of Swallow Turn Music administered by WB Music Corp.
B4: © 1977 Swallow Turn Music ASCAP & Gianni Music BMI.
All rights administered by WB Music Corp. on behalf of Swallow Turn Music.
All rights administered by Warner-Tamerlane Publishing Corp. on behalf of Gianni Music.
B5: © 1960 Cherio Corp. BMI
Barcode and Other Identifiers
- Matrix / Runout (A Side Etched): 6E-113-A-01-AR B-14536-01
- Matrix / Runout (B Side Etched): 6E-113-B-01-AR B-14537-01
- Other (A Side Center Label): 6E-113-A
- Other (B Side Center Label): 6E-113-B
- Rights Society: ASCAP, BMI
|6E-113||Jackson Browne||Running On Empty (LP, Album, PRC)||Asylum Records||6E-113||US||1977|
|K53070||Jackson Browne||Running On Empty (LP, RE, Sup)||Asylum Records, Nimbus Records||K53070||UK||1985|
|AS 53 070||Jackson Browne||Running On Empty (LP, Album, RE)||Asylum Records||AS 53 070||Europe||Unknown|
|6E-113||Jackson Browne||Running On Empty (LP, Album, Club, Col)||Asylum Records||6E-113||US||1984|
|7559-60325-2||Jackson Browne||Running On Empty (CD, Album, RE, RM)||Asylum Records||7559-60325-2||Europe||2003|