Herrick Bunney - Great Cathedral Organ Series - St. Giles’ Cathedral, Edinburgh download mp3 album
Great Cathedral Organ Series. Great Cathedral Organ Series. Great Cathedral Organ Series, Westminster Abbey (LP). St. Giles’ Cathedral, Edinburgh (LP).
The Metropolitan Cathedral of Our Lady of the Assumption is a Roman Catholic church located in Edinburgh, Scotland. It is the seat of the Archbishop of Saint Andrews and Edinburgh and the mother church of Scots Catholicism. The Chapel of St Mary's was opened in 1814, and was originally designed by James Gillespie Graham
St Giles’ Cathedral is the historic City Church of Edinburgh. With its famed crown spire it stands on the Royal Mile between Edinburgh Castle and the Palace of Holyroodhouse more. The stained glass windows are amazing as is the organ. A very impressive building inside and outside and full of history. Date of experience: June 2019.
Abbey of Saint-Gilles (Saint-Gilles, France) St. Giles' Cathedral (Edinburgh, Scotland). Saint Giles is the patron saint of cripples and is also invoked as a saint for childhood fears, convulsions, depression, particularly in Normandy, for example in Eure Iville, e or Bernay or in Calvados, Gilles Touques.
History of St Giles Cathedral. A parish church was established in Edinburgh as early as 854. This first church, a modest affair, was probably in use for several centuries before a new one was founded in the 1120s. Giles' incorporates a Cathedral Shop and a restaurant called The Lower Aisle, which serves coffee, tea and traditional Scottish snacks. Quick Facts on St Giles Cathedral. Names: High Kirk of St Giles · St Giles Cathedral.
St Giles' is the huge, imposing cathedral that is situated on the Royal Mile, beside Parliament Square. The cathedral has always played an important role in the religious and political development of the nation and retains a central role in state occasions, public celebrations (Christmas carol services. It is open daily, with free guided tours and concerts during the Festival Fringe in August).
The great grey bulk of St Giles Cathedral dates largely from the 15th century, but much of it was restored in the 19th century. Properly called the High Kirk of Edinburgh (it was only a true cathedral – the seat of a bishop – from 1633 to 1638 and from 1661 to 1689), the church was named after the patron saint of cripples and beggars.
Edinburgh town authorities petitioned for St Giles’ to become a collegiate church, a prestigious status which could only be bestowed by the Pope. Petitions in 1419 and 1423 failed but in 1466 Pope Paul II finally granted collegiate status to St Giles’ and a song school was established in the churchyard. Church services were suspended for a week for fear of public uprising. 1638 – National Covenant signed at Greyfriars Kirk. Charles I’s leading opponents in Scotland met at Greyfriars Kirk in Edinburgh, not far from St Giles’, to sign the National Covenant. The Covenanters called for religious freedoms and for the independence of the Scottish church to be maintained.
St Giles' Cathedral lies on Edinburgh's Royal Mile about two thirds of the way up from the Palace of Holyroodhouse to Edinburgh Castle. As a result, most of the exterior dates back to a remodelling in the years to 1833. And the interior you see today comes from a restoration completed in 1883. Despite its name, St Giles' Cathedral is not a cathedral.
Tracklist Hide Credits
|A1||Chorale Partita, “Christus,Der Ist Mein Lebin” (Chorale & 12 Partitas)
Written-By – Johann Pachelbel
|A2||Psalm Prelude, Set 2 No. 2
Written-By – Herbert Howells
|A3||(A) Le Jardin Suspendu (No. 2 Of “Trois Pièces”) (B) Litanies (No. 3 Of “Trois Pièces”)
Written-By – Jehan Alain
|B1||(A) Plein Jeu (B) Tierce En Taille (C) Dialogue
Written-By – François Couperin
|B2||Prelude And Fugue On A Theme Of Vittoria
Written-By – Benjamin Britten
|B3||Fantasia In G Major, BWV.572
Written-By – J. S. Bach*
- Organ – Herrick Bunney
NotesWith generic HMV printed inner sleeve.
|CSD 1625||Herrick Bunney||St. Giles’ Cathedral, Edinburgh (LP)||His Master's Voice||CSD 1625||UK||1965|