The Thad Jones/Mel Lewis Jazz Orchestra was a jazz big band formed by trumpeter Thad Jones and drummer Mel Lewis in New York in 1965. The band performed for twelve years in its original incarnation, including a 1972 tour of the Soviet Union during the height of the Cold War. The band won a Grammy Award for the album Live in Munich and in 2009 for the album Monday Night Live at the Village Vanguard.
Drums, Leader, Liner Notes – Mel Lewis. Flugelhorn, Leader, Composed By, Arranged By, Liner Notes – Thad Jones.
Personnel: Thad Jones, flugelhorn; Snooky Young, Danny Moore, Al Porcino, Marvin Stamm, trumpet; Eddie Bert, Benny Powell, Jimmy Knepper, trombone; Cliff Heather, bass trombone; Jerome Richardson, soprano, alto sax, flute; Jerry Dodgion, alto sax, clarinet, flute; Billy Harper, tenor sax, flute; Eddie Daniels, tenor sax, clarinet, flute; Richie Kamuca (1?3, 8), baritone sax, clarinet; Pepper Adams (4?6), Joe Farrell (7), baritone sax); Roland Hanna, acoustic, electric piano; Richard Davis, acoustic, electric bass; Mel Lewis, drums . My Blue Note Obsession. Thad Jones-Mel Lewis Orchestra: Consummation – 1970. The Magnificent Thad Jones by Greg Simmons. All My Yesterdays by Angelo Leonardi.
Exclusive discount for Prime members. Sample this album Artist (Sample). I remember the first time I heard Thad and Mel right after this album came out. The music iss just as fresh today as it was inthe seventies. A must for big band lovers.
Artist: Thad Jones, Mel Lewis Album: Consummation Genre: Big Band Origin: USA Released: 1970/2002 Quality: mp3, 320 kbps Tracklist: 01. Dedication (5:14) 02. It Only Happens Every Time (3:07) 03. Tiptoe (6:42) 04. A Child Is Born (4:09) 05. Us (3:37) 06. Ahunk Ahunk (7:58) 07. Fingers (10:39) 08. Consummation (5:10).
Get the Tempo of the tracks from Consummation (1970) by Thad Jones/Mel Lewis Orchestra. BPM Profile Consummation. Album starts at BPM, ends at BPM (+0), with tempos within the -BPM range. Try refreshing the page if dots are missing). Recent albums by Thad Jones/Mel Lewis Orchestra.
|A2||It Only Happens Every Time||3:03|
|A4||A Child Is Born||4:04|
- Record Company – Transamerica Corporation
- Copyright (c) – Liberty/UA, Inc.
- Published By – D'Accord Music Inc.
- Alto Saxophone, Flute, Clarinet – Jerry Dodgion
- Alto Saxophone, Soprano Saxophone, Flute – Jerome Richardson
- Art Direction – Frank Gauna
- Baritone Saxophone, Clarinet – Joe Farrell (tracks: A2), Pepper Adams (tracks: A4 To B2), Richie Kamuca (tracks: A1, A3, B3)
- Bass, Electric Bass – Richard Davis
- Drums, Leader – Mel Lewis
- Engineer – Don Hahn
- French Horn – Earl Chapin (tracks: A1, B3), Jimmy Buffington* (tracks: A1, B3), Julius Watkins (tracks: A1, B3), Dick Berg* (tracks: A1, B3)
- Guitar – David Spinozza (tracks: A5, B1)
- Illustration – Leo Meiersdorff (tracks: Meirsdorff)
- Liner Notes – Mel Lewis, Thad Jones
- Piano, Electric Piano – Roland Hanna
- Producer – Sonny Lester
- Tenor Saxophone, Clarinet, Flute – Eddie Daniels
- Tenor Saxophone, Flute – Billy Harper
- Trombone – Benny Powell, Cliff Heather, Eddie Bert, Jimmy Knepper
- Trumpet – Al Porcino, Danny Moore, Snooky Young*, Marvin Stamm
- Trumpet, Flugelhorn, Leader, Composed By, Arranged By – Thad Jones
- Tuba – Howard Johnson
NotesⒸ MCMLXX Liberty / UA Inc.
Recorded January 20, 21, 28 & May 25, 1970 at A&R Studios.
Solid blue labels with white b.
Manufactured by United Artists Music and Records Group
Reissue from the 1974-1979 period.
Barcode and Other Identifiers
- Matrix / Runout (Runout Side A, Etched): BST-84346-A² sf
- Matrix / Runout (Runout Side B, Etched): BST-84346-B¹ sf
- Other (Stamped In Runouts): Bell Sound
|BST 84346, BST-84346||Thad Jones & Mel Lewis||Consummation (LP, Album, Gat)||Blue Note, Blue Note||BST 84346, BST-84346||US||1970|
|7243 5 38226 2 0||Thad Jones • Mel Lewis*||Consummation (CD, Album, RE)||Blue Note||7243 5 38226 2 0||Europe||2002|
|7243 5 38226 2 0||Thad Jones • Mel Lewis*||Consummation (CD, Album, RE)||Blue Note||7243 5 38226 2 0||US||2002|
|TYCJ-81093, BST-84346||Thad Jones & Mel Lewis||Consummation (CD, Album, Ltd, RE, RM, SHM)||Blue Note, Blue Note||TYCJ-81093, BST-84346||Japan||2014|
|7243 5 38226 2 0, 5382262||Thad Jones • Mel Lewis*||Consummation (CD, Album, RE)||Blue Note, Blue Note||7243 5 38226 2 0, 5382262||UK & Europe||2014|