Michael Nyman later used "Diary of Love" to open and close his solo album, The Piano Sings (2006). As with many of Nyman's 1990s scores, he incorporates material from his String Quartet N., which was in turn based on a choral piece titled Out of the Ruins.
But Nyman seems perfectly comfortable with both, contrasting the gentle piano melody of "Love Doesn't End" with the elegiac strings of "Sarah Dies. As you might expect from a period romantic drama, the score is dominated by violin - there are an eyebrow-raising 24 violinists in the composer's Michael Nyman Orchestra - but the music, like the film, nonetheless manages to avoid almost any lapses into melodrama. This is not Nyman's best score, but it deserves the chance Allen gives it to stand on its own without superfluous supplementation.
Michael Nyman is the third album release by Michael Nyman and the second with the Michael Nyman Band, having previously contributed tracks to new music compilations. Graham Greene's own affair with Lady Catherine Walston played into the basis for The End of the Affair. Greene's own house at 14 Clapham Common Northside was bombed during the Blitz.
When Michael Nyman was nominated for a Golden Globe for Gattaca in 1997, he wrote an article in the Guardian newspaper in England chronicling his experience at the ceremony. The long and the short of was that he hated every moment of it, and in doing so questioned why he was writing film music in the first place, as it gave him far less pleasure than writing pure classical music. And then there is The End of the Affair, arguably the best of the four. Discounting the unconventional The Piano, Nyman has never written for a straightforward romance before, despite having a musical style quite obviously suited to the genre.
Conducted by Michael Nyman. Format: CD. Music From. The End Of The Affair (1999). Music By. Michael Nyman. Rate This Soundtrack. There are no real highlights to point out in the tracks on this album-no one cue really stands apart from the rest, and that is a large part of what makes it work so well. Like a good ensemble cast, the pieces of the score all feed off of one another, and lend to each other thematic material that can only be appreciated fully upon listening to it's subtle weaving from track to track. The disc consists of generally slow, fairly quiet music-almost elegiac at times, but always with the aforementioned restraint
The London Metropolitan Orchestra, The London Session Orchestra, The Michael Nyman Band, The New Blood Orchestra. 형: 모두 표시 중 Cathy Thompson. Michael Nyman - The End Of The Affair (Album). Sony Classical, Sony Classical.
Title: The End of the Affair (1999). John Barry was considered, and he wrote a demo theme for the film, which ended up on his 2001 solo album "Eternal Echoes," but Jordan eventually settled on Michael Nyman.
Affair 1999 Next album The Claim (2000) Misc . Michael Nyman would later use "Diary of Love" to open and close his solo album, "The Piano Sings" (2006). As with many of Nyman's 1990s scores, he incorporates material from his "String Quartet N. ", whcih was in turn based on a choral piece titled "Out of the Ruins".
|1||Diary Of Hate||2:37|
|3||The First Time||2:15|
|5||Jealous Of The Rain||5:29|
|6||The Party In Question||3:44|
|8||Smythe With A "Y"||1:54|
|10||Love Doesn't End||4:29|
|11||Diary Of Love||5:12|
|12||Breaking The Spell||1:19|
|13||I Know Your Voice, Sarah||4:08|
|15||The End Of The Affair||2:57|
- Recorded At – Whitfield Street Studios
- Mixed At – Whitfield Street Studios
- Alto Saxophone, Flute, Piccolo Flute – Jonathan Snowden
- Alto Saxophone, Soprano Saxophone – John Harle, Phil Todd, Simon Haram
- Alto Saxophone, Soprano Saxophone, Baritone Saxophone – Christian Forshaw, David Roach
- Bass – Chris Laurence, Mary Scully, Mike Brittain
- Bass Guitar – Martin Elliott
- Bassoon – David Chatterton, Michael Chapman
- Cello – Louise Hopkins, Nick Cooper, Sophie Harris, Anthony Hinnigan*, William Schofield
- Composed By, Conductor – Michael Nyman
- Contractor [Orchestral] – Isobel Griffiths
- Design [Package] – Fredette/Sparagano
- Engineer – Austin Ince
- English Horn – David Theodore
- Horn – Dave Lee
- Leader [Orchestra] – Jackie Shave
- Orchestra – The Michael Nyman Orchestra
- Producer – Cameron Allan
- Trumpet, Flugelhorn – Steve Sidwell
- Tuba, Bass Trombone – Nigel Barr
- Viola – Andy Parker*, Bruce White, Kate Musker, Nick Barr, Paul Martin , Philip D'Arcy
- Violin – Ann Morfee, Bev Davison*, Boguslav Kostecki*, Cathy Thompson, Chris Tombling, Dermot Crehan, Everton Nelson, Helen Paterson, Ian Humphries, Jackie Shave, Jonathan Evans Jones*, Julian Leaper, Kathy Shave*, Maciej Rakowski, Manon Derome, Mark Berrow, Pat Kiernan*, Paul Willey, Phillippa Ibbotson*, Rachel Allen, Rita Manning, Sonia Slany, Warren Zielinski
- Violin [Solo] – Alexander Balanescu
NotesOriginal motion picture soundtrack for the film by Neil Jordan.
Recorded, mixed and edited at Whitfield Street Studios, London, on August 10-17 and October 6, 1999.
French title on cover, original title on spines, back cover and disc.
Barcode and Other Identifiers
- Barcode: 074645135427
|SK 51354, 0513542000||Michael Nyman||The End Of The Affair (CD)||Sony Classical, Sony Classical||SK 51354, 0513542000||Europe||1999|
|none||Michael Nyman||The End Of The Affair (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack - A Film By Neil Jordan) (15xFile, FLAC, RE)||Sony Classical||none||Europe||Unknown|
|SK 51354, 0513542006||Michael Nyman||Das Ende Einer Affäre (CD, Album)||Sony Classical, Sony Classical||SK 51354, 0513542006||Austria||1999|
|SK 51354||Michael Nyman||La Fin D'Une Liaison / The End Of The Affair (CD)||Sony Classical||SK 51354||Europe||1999|
|SRCS 2219, 0513542000||Michael Nyman||The End Of The Affair (CD)||Sony Classical, Sony Classical||SRCS 2219, 0513542000||Japan||1999|