Reality is the 23rd studio album by David Bowie. It was released on 15 September 2003 on his Iso Records label, in conjunction with Columbia Records. The album was recorded and produced in New York City's Looking Glass Studios and co-produced by Bowie and Tony Visconti.
A great many of David Bowie's fans, with each successive year, slowly but surely creep into the former category even as Bowie himself manages to still act like a card-carrying member of the latter. That's not an insult. I feel the biggest strength of this album is how relaxed it is, how well this anti-pose suits Bowie. It's freed him to craft some of the finest original material he's done in quite a while; Heathen best expressed his singular vision through the compositions of others, but Reality 's original material easily overshadows its covers.
Instead of being a one-off comeback, 2002's Heathen turned out to be where David Bowie settled into a nice groove for his latter-day career, if 2003's Reality is any indication. Working once again with producer Tony Visconti, Bowie again returns to a sound from the past, yet tweaks it enough to make it seem modern, not retro. Last time around, he concentrated on his early-'70s sound, creating an amalgam of Hunky Dory through Heroes
Reality (David Bowie album), Reality is the twenty-third studio album by David Bowie It was released on 16 September 2003 on his Iso Records label, in conjunction with Columb. Bowie started writing the songs for Reality as the production for his previous album Heathen was wrapping up Some songs he wrote quickly: "Fall Dog Bombs the Moon" was written in 30 minutes Other songs, such as "Bring Me the Disco King", was a song Bowie had tried his hand at as early as the 1970s and had tried again with. 1993's Black Tie White Noise as well as Heathen in 20023. Bowie and Visconti produced both the stereo and 51 mix in the studio as the album was recorded. On the album's title, Bowie said
Nom du groupe David Bowie. Nom de l'album Reality. Date de parution 16 Septembre 2003. Produit par Tony Visconti. Style MusicalRock Alternatif. Membres possèdant cet album36.
Released September 15, 2003. 1. New Killer Star Lyrics. Bowies 23rd studio album, and the last time he would release an album until The Next Day ten years later. The album was a sonic move back toward his Berlin trio rock sound, while progressing further by tackling his advancing age, and his current situation. It was one of his most personal records. Bowie said of the title: I feel that reality has become an abstract for so many people over the last 20 years.
Each David Bowie album from Black Tie White Noise onwards has been greeted with a huge puff of publicity but very little aftertaste. This is as much our fault as his. In our long-established immediacy culture, unless you are repeatedly whacked around the head by something, it evaporates. The complex and distant music Bowie has produced over the past ten years often demands the one thing we don't have in abundance today: time.
As for Reality, we may never see another new Bowie album or tour, given that he seems to have settled into a happy retirement, so if this is his swan song (as Bring Me the Head of the Disco King implies), it's a fair way to head for the exit. It has some gems (Disco King, Loneliest Guy, Days, the title track), two great covers, and nary a bum note throughout. It doesn't hurt that once again a few familiar names are in the band and Visconti's on board as co-producer.
Tracklist Hide Credits
|1-1||New Killer Star||4:40|
Written-By – Jonathan Richman
|1-3||Never Get Old||4:24|
|1-4||The Loneliest Guy
Recorded By [Acoustic Piano] – Bill Jenkins
|1-5||Looking For Water||3:28|
|1-6||She'll Drive The Big Car||4:35|
|1-8||Fall Dog Bombs The Moon
Percussion [Additional], Drums [Additional] – Mario J. McNulty
|1-9||Try Some, Buy Some
Written-By – George Harrison
|1-11||Bring Me The Disco King
Drums – Matt Chamberlain
Drums – Matt ChamberlainGuitar – Carlos Alomar
|2-2||Queen Of All The Tarts (Overture)||2:53|
- Licensed To – Sony Music Entertainment Inc.
- Manufactured By – Sony Music Entertainment Inc.
- Distributed By – Sony Music Asia
- Phonographic Copyright (p) – ISO Records
- Copyright (c) – ISO Records
- Published By – Nipple Music
- Published By – RZO Music, Inc.
- Published By – Modern Love Songs
- Published By – Harrisongs Ltd.
- Published By – Tintoretto Music
- Published By – RZO Music Ltd.
- Published By – Jones Music America
- Published By – ARZO Publishing
- Published By – Colgems-EMI Music Inc.
- Published By – EMI Music Publishing Ltd.
- Published By – Chrysalis Songs
- Recorded At – The Looking Glass Studios
- Recorded At – The Hitching Post Studio
- Recorded At – The Lodge, New York
- Backing Vocals – Catherine Russell, David Bowie, Gail Ann Dorsey, Tony Visconti
- Baritone Saxophone, Keyboards [Stylophone], Percussion, Synthesizer – David Bowie
- Bass – Mark Plati, Tony Visconti
- Design – Barnbrook Design*
- Drums – Sterling Campbell
- Engineer [Additional] – Mario J. McNulty
- Engineer, Mixed By – Tony Visconti
- Guitar – David Bowie, David Torn, Earl Slick, Gerry Leonard, Mark Plati, Tony Visconti
- Illustration – Rex Ray
- Keyboards – David Bowie, Tony Visconti
- Mastered By – Emily Lazar
- Photography By – Frank W. Ockenfels*
- Piano – Mike Garson
- Producer – David Bowie, Tony Visconti
- Recorded By [Additional] – Brandon Mason
- Written-By – David Bowie (tracks: 1-1, 1-3 to 1-8, 1-10 to 2-3)
NotesLimited Asian Edition.
All songs published by Nipple Music (BMI) administred by RZO Music, Inc. Except "Pablo Picasso" published by Modern Love Songs (ASCAP), "Try Some, Buy Some" published by Harrisongs Ltd. (PRS) and "Bring Me The Disco King" published by Tintoretto Music (BMI) administred by RZO Music, Inc.
© 2003 ISO Records made under license to Sony Music Entertainment Inc. / ℗ 2003 ISO Records made under license to Sony Music Entertainment Inc.
Distribution Sony Music Asia.
Barcode and Other Identifiers
- Barcode: 4 893391 105197
- Mastering SID Code (CD1 & CD2): IFPI 6315
- Mould SID Code (CD1): IFPI 1555
- Mould SID Code (CD2): IFPI 1553
- Matrix / Runout (CD1): 551 25552000-0101 15
- Matrix / Runout (CD2): 551 25559000-0202 33
|COL 512555 9, 5125559000||David Bowie||Reality (CD, Album + CD + S/Edition, Dig)||ISO Records, Columbia, ISO Records, Columbia||COL 512555 9, 5125559000||Europe||2003|
|512555.4||David Bowie||Reality (Cass, Album)||Columbia||512555.4||Indonesia||2003|
|SICP 544~5||David Bowie = デヴィッド・ボウイ*||David Bowie = デヴィッド・ボウイ* - Reality = リアリティ スペシャル・エディション (CD, Album, RE + DVD-V, NTSC + Ltd, Promo, S/Editio)||Sony Records Int'l, ISO Records||SICP 544~5||Japan||2004|
|CDCOL6713||David Bowie||Reality (CD, Album, Dig)||ISO Records||CDCOL6713||South Africa||2003|
|CK 90660||David Bowie||Reality (2xCD, Album, Ltd, S/Edition)||Columbia, ISO Records||CK 90660||US||2003|